We arrived in Delhi, India last night close to midnight and left this at home!
11.5 hours later in India time zone and we arrived here about midnight after two 8.5 hour flights and a 3 hour layover in Paris. It was pretty interesting to watch the map on the plane as we flew over Iran, Khazakstan and a whole bunch of other places that are always on the news.Super taxi driver and pickup person greeted us a a flower garland which apparently all "distinguished guests" receive on arrival in India. En route I noticed trucks that often had "Blow Horn" in decorative writing on the back - guide says it is "deemed precautionary to blow horn and a constant 24 reality in India" When we got to the hotel we were greeted with "Namaste" and a bow with hands together which means "I bow to the divine in you" and then a bindi was placed in red dot on our forehead which signifies Hindu or mystical meaning "the eye of spiritual sight" made of powdered turmeric and lime juice.
View this morning out of our Leela Palace Hotel window on the 5th floor "or so". Smog, flog, grog, glog, fog - what does one call it? However having read up on India I was prepared for the air quality, mosquito risk and "Delhi Belly" which is apparently a common ailment.
Grounds of the hotel and the weather is perfect - a little "hazy" but my eyes aren't burning!
One of the many hotel lobbies - it's a huge hotel and in New Delhi which is growing, more modern and lots of tech companies! Old Delhi is from the 1400s and was under British rule so very interesting history.
There is a pin code on the bottom of this street sign - hmmmmm.....wonder what that means! They said "Don't try to cross the street".
And as usual we are doing "darn good" for our first day in India and a totally different atmosphere with 12 hour time difference. I can't even figure out how long I was up but I know I slept about 5 hours and the coffee at the hotel breakfast was perfect, good and strong!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment