Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

February 25-26: Kumarakon, Kerala India

We stayed in the state of Kerala, richest of the 29 states of India and also has more of the Communist Party of India.  The resort is Kumarakom Lake Resort on Lake Vembanad and when our guide Ahbi aka "Chaha" which means uncle, told us about it since V is pronounced as W in India it sounded like Lake Woebegon - hmmm was I in Minnesota???  Others heard the same thing.  We had dinner outside and this was our entertainment - dancers who tell a story just by moving their hands, eyes and bodies.
 This was quite the sight of The World - a residential ship with 165 residences from Studio to 3 bedroom.  Quite expensive to say the least!!!  But it does travel the world and I wonder who gets to choose the itineraries - money talks maybe???
 I love all the doctor, emergency, hospita signs and how they spell "Smyle".  We were happy that we did not need medical care on this trip!
 We boarded a "kettuvalam" for a boat cruise on the backwaters and Lake Vemaband to see real village life - both from the water and walking and visiting the villages.

 This was one of the "palaces" and yes they have a couple satellite dishes which we saw all over even in the "slums".
 This area is know for spas and especially Ayurvedic which is famous.  We didn't buy in as neither of us care for that and some people said some of them were "pretty tough" so I would prefer less pain rather than more pain - duh?

 Well - interesting as when we checked in and got the room key we were told to be sure to close the bathroom door at all times so the "very friendly mosquitoes" would not give us malaria.  Turns out the bathroom had no ceiling - yes totally open to the outdoors and we could hear toilets flushing at nearby "villas".  I guess they use mustard oil to keep the mosquitoes away but I'm always a little leary of putting stuff on my sensitive skin so I stuck with DEET spray which has not yet killed me!

This was the beautiful sunset at happy hour time in Kerala.  Our cameras had to be fast as since we were so close to the equator the sun set in seconds!

This was one of the houseboats we took and there are tons of "water lilies" all over the place on the canals and backwaters so it's not so polluted that it kills plants!

We say this boy taking a bath and shampooing his hair then dumping a bucket of water on it to rinse.
Yup - you gotta have a strong and limber back to do the dishes!
We visited another home and I must say everyone in India was so welcoming to us.  The girl's sister went to school but this one wanted to stay home to see us and go to school late.  Grandma didn't speak English but the rest did.  The literacy rate in the state of Kerala is 100% and education is a priority.  We saw a lot of Catholic schools and other private schools also.
Part of our group demonstrating how to dress in a village.  The couple on the left were hilarious and they reminded me of the painting of the old man and woman with a pitchfork by Grant Wood "American Gothic".
We had the most fantastic guide with us every day - very smart, kind and super sense of humor. His test to see if we were listening was to tell a joke!
She was really fast at making this twine.
And the motorized version to go faster with the daughter - there is a battery pack thing on the back of the blue box to automate it!
These are just stored outside and brought in as needed.  Sometime I might do that when I run out of room for my cooking supplies - who would complain???
We walked in their house and noticed the parakeet then I noted the little round box on the doorway and it was toothbrushes and Crest toothpaste.  Not sure where they did the brushing!
The mom was very proud of all these medals their daughters received and some were academic and some were sports.
So beautiful that pictures don't really tell the whole story.
In August 2018 (wrong date on photo) from the worst monsoon rains  in a century and over 500 people died in the little villages in the state of Kerala and 200,000 left homeless and 223,000 were living in relief camps.  They are recovering and working so hard it's amazing.  It will be a long long road to recovery but they are so welcoming to tourists as that is the main income.
This is one dad and his 17 month old daughter at a home we visited and you can see the tree damage in the background.  I think the water was up to 6 feet high in all the homes.

Mom teaching how to make a thatch mat and the little girl really wanted to help.
Just a little R&R and this vacation was not restful but as we say we can always rest at home!
There were waterways all over the resort but from the looks I would not stick my foot in it.
We did see quite a martial arts demo and I have never before observed a live one.  When the swords and shields came out I held my breath and could barely watch.  I am happy that we can afford to support the economy here.
And since I am well known for traveling light and never bringing a bathing suit and wearing stuff 4 times "or so" since it was in the 90s and humid I just put on my Quick Dry outfit and in I go and after the sun dried it in a couple hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment