We took this same photo a couple times in the last 3 years!!! Now the group of 5 Globetrotting Grannies after visiting Lisbon last year we are here in Venice, Italy for 3 nights and heading to Sorrento and Amalfi Coast for 7 nights after a train ride next Monday. So.....it's Saturday night in Venice and our 2nd night and after a full day and 7 miles of walking including lots of steps we had a great dinner and ended with grappa to top the night and then had to find our way "home". Stories on the way as we are now figuring out tomorrow!!!
This is the front door of our apartment. It was "rustic" but nice.
No feet on the boat in the canal so we didn't test it out.
I made reservations for a couple nights for dinner in Venice and this was so awesome. They brought out a whole sea bass to show us how they would cook it. Got free dessert, sardine appetizer and a little shot of grappa to top it of - wooooooo - a little shot is good enough and hits you like a strike of lightning!Our Venice apartment and it's hard to see the chandelier but it was colored glass and pretty awesome.
I don't make my bed on vacation and pretty often not even at home - seems like a waste of time to me:)
The famous San Marco aka St. Mark's Square in Venice:
And since our apartment had 1 1/2 baths this is the half bath - hmmm - tiny toilet, tiny sink, washer/dryer combo and the air condition/heating unit on the wall.
There were mirrors all over the place and probably to make the place look bigger. On the mirrored wall in my bedroom one morning I woke up and turned over and thought someone was in the room but then realized it was me!
One canal after another and each one more beautiful than the last. They say Venice is sinking and I know it often floods and is getting lower with higher water levels.
Dinner last night in Venice on a square and eating outside - we all got bug bites that felt like mosquito bites but we didn't hear the humming noise when they are nearby.
The very famous Rialto Bridge - and even though this was my 3rd time in Venice it never ceases to amaze me and I saw some new things.
Interesting sign on this hotel building across the canal. Translated: No Mafia, Venice is Sacred - and apparently they are taking a stand against the Mafia that still inhabits the country and city.
A fresh fish stall and I'm not sure I could eat this one after the green goggle eyes were staring at me.
We bought a 48 hour pass to use the Vaporetto and we got every dime's worth out of it - This is San Michele Island aka "Cemetery Island" and it was interesting to see the tombs of Igor and Vera Stravinsky and Ezra Pound and other famous people I was not familiar with. They seemed to have Germans, French, Polish and many nationalities and lots of military graves. I guess you have a spot for 12 years and then need to move out and renew the "lease" - interesting concept.
View of the island from the vaporetto (aka water taxi) as we could not take photos on the island.
Another gelato lunch but we soon got kicked out of this table as we didn't order lunch only gelato. There wasn't anyone else there but whatever - we didn't argue!
Next stop the island of Murano and some very interesting glassworks and this one is giving the finger to someone but it is very colorful!
I'm not a mermaid and my upper front did not measure up to the female statue - oh whatever - be happy with what you have is my motto.
Next stop island of Burano - also known for the colorful houses so that the fisherman know which house is theirs as it is a fishing island but also the "lace island" as the women made lace things and men caught fish.
Most of the boats matched the houses. It was a beautiful island and very well kept.
Back to Venice and this is the "Bridge of Sighs"
The court is on the left and the prison is on the right and when prisoners crossed the bridge they sighed as they would probably be in prison for life or executed hence it is called "The Bridge of Sighs".
A jail cell still in place.
And the worn out shoes of some of the prisoners.
In front of a cell - hmmm - how did this happen to me is what I appear to be saying?
Excellent sea bass and I had it at least 3-4 times on the trip as it is a local catch.
Of course sitting right by the sign that says "Do not sit on the steps" but I must say Grandmas get very special treatment and are highly respected.

No comments:
Post a Comment