Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Fun and Stuff!

About every 3 months we have dinner with these great friends (former coworkers)  and we all have so much fun for several hours - we take turns at each other's houses and as Janelle says "The food was yummy but the friendship is the best" and Donna:  "I want a do over of last night...it went too fast" - that's how much fun it is and we were up until near midnight!.
The girls - quite an age spread but you would never know it when you hear us laughing:).  Actually I think we are all quite immature!
The boys who have joined us for many years are dragged into the scene but dang - they have fun too and ages from 40 or so to 70 or so:).  The guys are not so mature either!!
My Aunt Anne died this week.  She was married to my mom's half-brother Kalvin - they are on the right and were married about 1942 so my mom would have been about 16 in this picture.  My grandpa on the left, my mom in the front, her sister behind her and then Anne and Kalvin.  We were not close to them for many many years - I actually haven't seen her since my Dad's funeral in 1985.  They had one boy a couple years older than me who when my family visited theirs for a holiday would lock his toys in this closet but open it to let us look in...hmmm, is that nice?  It seemed like all they thought about was money and just may have ended up living very lonely lives.  My grandpa's first wife died when Kalvin was a little boy - maybe 4 or so and my Grandpa and the Grandma I knew were 17 years apart in age.
I watched a wonderful PBS special tonight called "Climbed Every Mountain..." narrated by Nicholas Hammond who played the oldest son Friedrich in the Sound of Music 1964 movie.  Austria and especially Salzburg did not like or even acknowledge the movie because it was apparently not very true.  We did the Sound of Music tour in 2010 when we visited and I loved it but we were also told this.  I loved seeing this familiar gazebo - but then I love travel stuff anywhere including downtown Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment