Four nights of family which includes 3 grandchildren sleeping on the floor in our room - one would think I would be laid flat by now - NOT! I keep saying my grandchildren keep me active and healthy. They are hilarious.
Day one - Bush Lake Beach - Rooke's first time in a Minnesota lake with tiny fish swimming near her feet - her fear lasted only a couple minutes with her favorite Hero Alex to teach her what it's about.
Day 2 - ride on the Mississippi Queen on the big river. One of my favorite things to do in the summer. Since the high waters of this season it has to leave from a different location and the trip is not quite the same but still very nice and it was a gorgeous day. Ross gets to teach Alex about how the lock system works as we pass through a St. Anthony lock Captain Dave at the helm.Amy and Shannon getting a little sun and beer - quiet time with the little kids hunkering with Jenny and Ross.
Our "indoor" cabin - air conditioned which was nice as we also had an outside table and this inside seating so we could trade off.
I think this was a very important discussion of who gets the green M&M vs. the peanut from the trail mix.
Prior Lake Beach Day - more crowded because they had a ton of free activities for the girls.
Rooke was not afraid to do the limbo (it brought me back to my limbo days in the 1960s) - "how low can you go?". She did very well as she knew she would get a free beach ball.
Face painting.
More face paint and both had red hair by this time.
The last morning was this morning. I have to say they had very few spats and lots of fun. They found some old wigs in the closet (not my wigs) and decided they could be a great band. Alex is quite serious. When I showed Lucy the picture on my camera she was ticked that Alex's pink earring (compliments of Ross' mom's jewelry stash) was covering part of her face.
At the boat - I love this old boat. It was so fun to have my daughter, Shannon and granddaughter Rooke visiting us from California. Rooke remembers every detail of every time she has spent at our house - it is hard to believe a not quite 6 year old has a memory for those details.
Lucy: "My Dad says I can have butter OR jelly on my toast but not both. But now we are at Grammy's house and there is no parent so it is OK"Alex today heading out to Duluth with Bapa Paul: "It's 180 miles to Duluth so we should be there in 3 hours - at 1:30" - I swear he is going to be an engineer.
Rooke: "I don't like bugs or mosquitoes of any color". "I have to take my bandaid off to give my body some air".
We had 5 inches of rain in a couple hours the night before last. We lucked out with no wet basement, flooding or any problems but lots of people did not fare as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment