When I sent this photo of my first school to one of my brothers he asked me if I was in the picture - NOT - it's from 1898 or something but I probably do have relatives in this photo. Black River School District 124J, no water, no plumbing, wood stove for heat and yes there was a lovely Black River just down the hill in the back - on past the outhouse. This may be a repeat but a little over 3 years ago on my mom's funeral day Chris was in the car with me and my brothers and he said "Mom can you believe you went to this school and you just got back from Spain"? No sometimes I cannot! My mom was 19 and teaching in this school when she met my Dad in 1945.
My Lafayette High School 1891 - looked much the same when I graduated in 1964. When my one room school closed I was in 5th grade and had to go to the "town school" which was part of this high school; 5th through 12th grades for me.
After taking some college classes but preferring fun to school I moved to LA with a couple friends and worked full time and got serious - kind of - at El Camino Community College in Torrance. Couldn't beat the price as if you had lived in CA for 6 months it was totally FREE. It was also quite an experience for me crossing the student protest lines - I was not afraid!
1980 - getting my act together with 2 small kids (1 and 3) taking as many classes as I can handle at Normandale Community College in Bloomington. I never dreamed then that someday I would be able to walk to the beautiful Japanese garden right on the grounds of the college from my house.
Next University of Minnesota St. Paul campus and finally - done, done, done in 1987 - right back where I started out in 1965. So when people complain to me about their kids taking too long to get through college - what can I say?

No comments:
Post a Comment