Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

So -I'm 64 today - I have outlived my father by a year and I see that as a milestone. My sister-in-law Kathy spent the night last night and we watched "The Buddy Holly Story" - 1978 movie on TV - great music and made us want to get up and dance - that and a glass of wine:)
Occasions always move me to look in old photo boxes - this is my 18th birthday in 1965 in an apartment in Minneapolis with a few roommates. Yes, that is a animal print vest, a glass of wine, a beautifully decorated cake and a cigarette!!!!!! All of it is still rather appealing to me.
Recap of the year: we have so much to be thankful for. Amy and I plan to celebrate her birthday this week by trying out the Pardon My French cafe and bakery - ooh la la.
Other: I am still awed by the contact in Scotland, Ian, about my family history. He did look at my blog and says "How do you have time to write about it as well as do all the things you are up to?" So in answer I found a couple nice quotes:

John Mason Good: Happiness consists in activity. It is a running stream, not a stagnant pool.

Milton Garland (at 103 the oldest worker in the USA): Don't worry about anything. Worrying never solved anything. All it does is distort your mind.

So to continue on my busy track I signed up for 3 cooking classes from the Women's Club of Turkish American Society of Minnesota. In the description - "By participating in these classes, you will not only learn new dishes but get some tips, learn about different cultures and cooking techniques, make new friends, taste delicious foods and have fun". Some of the menus are Turkish, Mediterranean, Middle East and Turkic. The email says you must be female. I can't wait for this new adventure this summer.

From a newsletter I received from our insurance agent for my birth year 1947:

Truman wanted funds to fight "cold war"; Taft-Hartley Acts put limits on organized labor; US provided millions in relief for foreign countries to recover from war; $4-billion tax reduction passed. (Does this sound familiar?????)

And: since the day you were born your heart has beat 2.4 billion times, you have been alive 33.7 million minutes; you have taken 505.6 million breaths.

No comments:

Post a Comment