Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Past Life!!!


Main Street - much different from when I grew up when there was a bank, a hardware store, a drugstore, a soda fountain restaurant, the American Legion club, a department store and a clothing store - all on this side of the street - across the street held much more - a theater, a grocery store, a hotel - is this the way of small towns now? - I do believe so.
Next is the farm where I lived until I graduated from high school and left to earn a living and buy a car. Many memories here. My cousin lives here now.

This is even harder to believe even though I have been back in this school many times since. We did not have a library but instead the county superintendent, Mary Drees, loaded up a box in town and brought the box to the school maybe once a week and since I was even then such an avid reader she chose more books for me and I felt special. For heat we had a wood stove and for water a bucket with a ladle; no plumbing, no central air or heat! When we arrived at school in the winter we put potatoes on top of the stove to bake for our lunch and once in a while one would fall through the crack andd we would have to share with another. We did have electricity for lights and the windows were not boarded up and we had a lovely view. Behind the school was a hill that went down to the Black River where occasionally someone fell through the ice. The outhouse looks much the same and it always scared me. We had one teacher for all six grades and when I was in 2nd grade I could read very well and I was the only one in my class so I was "advanced" to third grade!! This meant I was just 17 when I graduated from high school.
Please see next post for the rest of the story!!!
QUOTE OF THE DAY: We shape our dwellings and afterwards, our dwellings shape us. Winston Churchill (1874-1965), British politician
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment