Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Camel Rides!


Wednesday 2/25/09
Perfect weather as you can see! What we learned today:
The call to prayer is heard 5x/day for Muslims.
Camels snort and gurgle and try to kiss you.
There are lots of stray dogs in Memphis the ancient city in Egypt not Elvis' home. (MaryAnn we are bringing one home for you)
Forgot and ate lettuce and tomato for lunch - hopefully no Mummy Tummy
Armed men are at all tourist sites, some on camels, horses and armored trucks - just read Cairo is one of the safest big cities in the world - I believe it.
Have been hanging out with a fellow traveler Lynn From Chicago, about my age, traveling solo and she is great fun and game for anything including Steak restaurant tonight - we did it!!!!! We think she must be richer than sin but very down to earth. The Australian Augwu ?sp tenderloin was worth it....and no our meal was under $500 and we were not paying for it. I did stick with the local wine as alcohol is on our tab:)
Tomorrow morning taking EgyptAir to Aswan. We have some people in our group of 17 who are in their 80s and they are doing just great with the sand, cobblestones and stairs...even those who have had hip replacements. A lot of them have travelled with Jan the Travel Guy and he is great and has given us his schedule for 2009. He travels 10 months of the year.
It was an amazing day to see all these pyramids that I have only seen in magazines - I just loved the camel ride and would do it again anytime. My camel's name was Telephone and Ross' was Austin, Texas - go figure. I am looking forward to Aswan tomorrow even though I don't like packing up for one night - I'm stealing the L'Occitane bath supplies - so have been hoarding them!
That's all folks - time to go to bed - it is after 10 here.
I don't think there is any need to worry - we have a constant police escort on our bus and he is dressed in a suit and tie and sits up front with the Egyptologist - overall it is a most wonderful trip.
I will post a couple more pictures separately
Ross and Dee
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. The photo of Dee and Ross on camels will be a forever classic. Click on the photo to see Dee's great smile! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. The camel ride looks like so much fun - except for the part when they try to kiss you! We debated whether we should tell you about the Cairo bomb blast, but it sounds like it is quite secure around you. This is so much fun reading about your trip - keep the pictures coming!

    Beth and Jim

    ReplyDelete