August 16, 1921 was the day my dad was born in Wylie County, Northwestern Minnesota. Today he would have turned 100. This is a picture of my mom, dad and 3 brothers and either I was the photo taker or I had already left home after high school as I was the oldest.
My dad died in February 1985 from a heart attack right after he arrived at his job as custodian at our one elementary school in town. After they sold the family farm to a cousin in 1972 he took the job as my mom worked as secretary to the principal (as she says also therapist, counselor, nurse and "whatever"). My brother Keith on the left had died quite suddenly at age 34 in November 1983 from a rare form of leukemia 3 weeks after diagnosis and mom said my dad's heart was "broken" as was all of ours.
1947 - first child me of course and since I was the very first one in the huge family I got a lot of attention all the time until a bunch of brothers and cousins came along. This is our family farm yard.And when my mom and dad first got married they bought this one room schoolhouse and converted it to a house for them where we lived until my first brother came along in 1949 then we switched with my grandparents so we got the "big house". Of course the little building on the right is the "outhouse" and a puppy is in the picture also.
Another farm view which I remember so well - from left chicken coop, silo, "milk room" attached to the barn.
All the pictures I have of mom and dad show how well dressed they were and I'm guessing this was Sunday as we always had to "dress up" to go to church and couldn't miss as in the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church that was a big sin!
Me, Dad and brother Keith again on the farm
August 1984 we had a family reunion without my brother of course who was in heaven and this is my dad with the youngest of my brother's 3 daughters - niece Molly.
Dad plus Four Schultz kids in our totally awesome living room.
My dad again with us plus my cousin who sneaked into the photo on the right.
This was the last family gathering as my brother died 3 months later. He is the one on the top left and it was a big shock to us all and very traumatic as he had 3 little girls 7 and under.
Dad on his Navy ship 3rd from the left and he was in Pearl Harbor after the bombing, Guam, Phillipines and I'm still researching where else.
My dad and 2 Navy comrades and it looks like railroad tracks headed somewhere - maybe basic training?
I have so many good memories and my dad was not perfect but he was a good man!!!













No comments:
Post a Comment