Pages

Monday, July 12, 2021

4 July 2021 - Isafjordur - Vigur Island - Iceland

 Sunday 4 July 2021 - still catching up and researching Iceland!!!
And the boat was ready for the Americans on board to celebrate Independence Day aka July 4th; Awesome!

Next up for the day tour - we had to take a smaller boat to visit Vigur Island with a population of 3 - a young couple with a 4 year old child who met 10 years ago while doing polar expeditions.  So we sit on the boat at a table for 4 (another fun couple) and we see this bag on the table and talking about which we should do first.  Thank goodness it was not a super bumpy or super long ride and everyone was just fine!  But this item was a new experience for us.
View from the little ferry to the little island and we lucked out and the fog lifted as soon as we arrived.

The young couple split our group up and we learned the whole story of eider down - a very very expensive way to make down blankets and most of the eider goes to Germany and Japan and a comforter or pillow would be thousands of dollars.  We got to see the process of removing everything but the very soft eider.
Eider down and eider eggs:
The mom Felicity holding up a perfect pouf of eider down - all cleaned up.


We did long hikes on the island and since the eider ducks and many other birds don't like to be disturbed we had to carry tall sticks as otherwise they would swoop down for your head - they did swoop down for the sticks but left quickly as not too interesting.


The young couple grew a whole lot of rhubarb which was also sold to the nearby "towns" of which two were about 20 minutes away by water.

The young mom had just published a book and it was for sale (cash only) in the teeny tiny "gift shop" so I bought one to support her and I do love to read.
I kept seeing this statue and I asked who it was as we were not passing by it.  It's the original founder of the island and the family "owned" the island so of course with my sense of adventure I hiked up there to take a look.  The birds surely do like this famous guy!!!!
Another building was the original family home and it was really interesting and at my age I recognized almost everything but could not imagine living on this island as I like planes, trains, automobiles and skyscrapers!



When we got back by the little ferry to the "big" city if Isafjordur I took off with a few other people to shop a little and get the famous Icelandic hot dog - 5 of us 4 women 1 guy.  Since it was Sunday the only thing open was a supermarket and a hot dog place.

I sent this photo to daughter Jenny who does a lot of crochet projects and this was awesome and covered both sides of the concrete support beam for the building.

Souvenirs:  magnets, chocolate and lava salt - easy to pack!
One night we decided we should visit the below deck Blue Eye - it was rather boring to look through the window at the greenish blue water outside the boat but we did get free champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment