Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2019

Time Really Flies with Fun - Another awesome LHS Reunion - 55 years and going strong!

We have an amazing crew of graduates of 1964 Lafayette High School, Red Lake Falls, Minnesota
We have had several class reunions and this is 55 years.  Five years ago we hosted the 50 year one at our house and it went like clockwork!
My bestie friend Beth is s super organizer and I have other skills I guess but I must say she does get things going - like Xcel spreadsheets, mailings, followups, details etc - and she is either in Arizona or Bemidji.  I love the hosting and having a lot of people gather in our house.  We've been doing it since we were first married and so far no huge failures!
This is two days before - same tablecloth and table length as five years ago and it looks darn empty!
 
12 chairs plus 24 "plastic chairs around the corner has done the trick many times.
Granddaughter Rooke did a couple stepping stones for us and it's so fun to look down at her handprint - good memories.
Awesome!
So the non-techie that I am (married to an engineer😱) I had to get a new smartphone and I have a bluetooth remote ($5 on Amazon of course) and I get to "practice" with Beth.  Granddaughter Rooke said "Grammy you don't need to hold it up in front of you - just look normal" - hahaha!
And our long time house guest called Sweet Martha - someone named our bar cabinet right after we got it and I can't remember who but everyone remembers her name.
Two hours before arrival of guests:
And here we go - so much fun and laughter and even a little serious talk but I did not hear a word of politics!

Not sure what Buddy Bethie is telling me but I'm sure it's important!
Jim the engineer and Jan the nurse and it's looks like a good conversation:
Andy one of my classmates is married to my cousin Arlyce (our grandparents were two sisters who married two brothers so we are definitely blood related) have a discussion with Mike.  We are German but we do accept the French-Canadian people in our hometown:).
So sweet and we have a lot of long long marriages.
A spouse and my cousin giggling like crazy:
Looks pretty serious! - Valerie, John, Beth (not so serious)!
Crazy Lady who I call my "sistah":


Classmate and a spouse and even Ross says "I'm getting to know them" even though he is the "Okie from Muskogee" - for real.
Wow - nothing like a Minnesota Potluck and the food was awesome and of course lots of sugar goodies to top it off.

The classmates on the steps once again - 18 of the 43; some could not make it and 12 have died but we made sure we remembered the as always.
We had 1.5 inches of rain in the morning and wouldn't you know the rain quit by the time the party started.  We started inside, wiped off the chairs, got a few "wet butts" and carried on.  This is a deep conversation with all the "kids" who went to the Catholic parochial school.  Since I was Missouri Synod Lutheran (one of few) it's interesting to hear all this.
My everlasting friend Theresa is on the right and Jim and Geraldine on the left.  I seem to recall that we rode the school bus together!  Theresa and I have had quite the life experiences and we did talk about it.  The two of us and another friend moved to California in 1968 and getting there was the fun!  Two cars 3 girls and we went from Minnesota to New Orleans, Houston, Albuquerque, Colorado, desert of California and finally to Los Angeles.  Before we left some guy at work was working on a private pilot's license and did not have the electronic instrument deal yet so asked if we would fly to Washington DC with him and back.  Heck ya, shur why not, whatcha got to lose?  Minnesota talk - and it was so darn much fun.  Sometimes I think of things we did and I'm amazed we are still alive to tell the stories.  We did stop in Wichita Falls, Texas to celebrate my 21st birthday!
Party's over and my "boss" and I look like we are asked "who ate the last brownie" but really we were just posing!!
One of the classmates brought a 1964 school newsletter and there I am on the front page - Homemaker of Tomorrow.  So I show it to Ross and he says why do I always set the table, clean up, and you don't know how to use the dishwasher?  My reply "I am smart"😆😎.
 Then I'm digging into the old box and I find the report card from my last year at the country school - grade 5 and I got promoted to 6th grade but please tell me why I got a D in sportsmanship, U (Unsatisfactory) in Courtesy Shown to Everyone and U in playground conduct - but I did get VS (very satisfactory) in personal cleanliness - wow!!!  I did not bully but I am a klutz when it comes to any kind of sport! Click to see better:

 This is the country school and those are my brothers checking it out.
 And yes this is it - the "outhouse" and that's all we got.
BEST NEWS OF THE DAY - DIGGING IN "THE BOX" I FIND THE GREETING CARDS FROM MY 1964 HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION AND OUT POPS MY ORIGINAL SOCIAL SECURITY CARD WHICH HAS BEEN MISSING FOR DECADES - whooohoooooo - lucky day!

No comments:

Post a Comment