Back home 48 hours now and in spite of bringing back the cough/crud/cold thing caught from a couple fellow tourists I am getting a little caught up - slower than normal with the crud thing:)
This was on the inside of one of our tour buses and I thought it was quite amusing as we were driving on windy mountain roads with snow on both sides in an avalanche area!
Today I wanted to at least plant a couple flowers in our attached window box and found this pile of soft fluff - with broken shells - quite large shells so maybe it was a duck nest? or a wild turkey nest? or a goose nest? We do have them all in our yard. It would have been fun to be home for the show!31 May 2017 Oslo - Gustav Vigeland Park with 23 years of bronze sculptures of the very famous sculptor who does all nudes? This one is called Angry Boy and our guide noted his left hand very shiny and said it was going to get all worn out with all the people rubbing it. I'm thinking at least it was his hand and not something else:)
Dad doing a balancing act taking care of four kids - hmm - pretty accurate probably.
Since this was toward the end of the two week trip my lady friends (and probably the men too) could understand this sculpture!
Oslo hotel room - we did have a wide variety of room types!
Not the best view but hey it had a window!
We visited the Nazi Resistance Museum in Oslo and these are beautiful little crafted gifts the foreign internment camp visitors made for the Norwegians who helped them. There were as in many countries the underground resistance helpers who risked their own lives.
Flam Norway - supposedly one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world.
These are for real Norwegian homes on a dirt road alongside the tracks and sometimes we could not figure out how they would even get food. Our guide said they can get almost anything by train - imagine!
Folklore's "Lady in the Forest" named Huldra who pops up in the hills on a train stop from Flam to Myrdal Norway. Apparently it is a woman/beast who lures men into the mountain with her song! It's a real person and I saw her and heard her sing!
Stave church - all wood and well preserved - very dark inside but beautiful. I can't imagine sitting in the dark with high up small windows with no electricity or heat. Very tough Scandinavians!
We always manage to find people we like to hang out with on these tours - thank goodness so far so good and these 3 guys: Ross, Arte and Hank got along just as well as their 3 chatty giggly wives!
We chose this restaurant one night because we were tired of fish (believe it) and we really liked the banner of the restaurant. I had chicken fajitas and they were great!!!!
Loen to Flam - wow this is compared to the blue sky sunny days we lucked out with! I think this is more normal. Our guide Gideon talking about sleep - "It's not going to get dark tonight because it's that time of year" - longest days of the year while we were there. June is called "The Month of Endless Days" for the summer solstice which occurs on June 21.
Our private "little boat" through the Nordfjord - what a trip!This friend was trying to move over to get out of our photo but I think it's kind of cute this way.
Hotel Flambrygga - Flam Norway.
The peaceful view out our window.
After another big dinner the 6 of us decided to work some of it off by hiding up this hill to see the goats and horses and get a view and it worked! I was the one with the timed camera so I set it for 10 seconds and jump down a bitty hill to get in the photo.
Dinner at a hotel restaurant and we got to choose a la carte which was excellent.
This is my dessert and Ross' words are always: "I don't care how pretty or beautiful the food is - is it enough?"
Bus ride to the highest drivable road in Norway and it was quite the ride - curvy, snow all over and an avalanche just a couple days before.
You can barely see but on the left side lower and then go up - that's the windy skinny road!
And we did it on this lovely comfy bus!
We drove the bus onto a ferry (well the busdriver did) and I saw this sign and I know what it means (put a fire out if needed) but it made me giggle to try to pronounce this.
Hotel Union, Oye, Norway - one of the halls - and what a beautiful place it is. It was our lunch stop and our busdriver Idar had owned it with a partner for 27 years and recently let it out on a contract to start taking life easier - NOT! He's a hardworking Scandinavian!
The Hotel:
These are called saetres and are "summer homes" in the mountains. Idar owns the second from right and I asked him how often he went there: "Never" - "not for me:)". He says it holds 2-8 people and it is on a small lake.
And the famous Idar - fun guy, excellent bus driver and storyteller!
So the crud I caught appears to be heading out in the right direction and I'm sure I'll be ready to work on the next trip in less than 4 months and no, I'm not crazy - just love to travel.
No comments:
Post a Comment