Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2016

"Like a Rhinestone Cowboy"

My favorite walk just two blocks from our house leads me across this bridge into a huge public park reserve and I go there at least a couple times a week either on foot or on my bike.  I'm not downplaying the horrors of the shootings and all the crime but the media drives me nuts - just sayin'.  Could there not be a few words of good and happy things now and then instead of the constant focus on the horrible????  After all, there are many good things and good people all over the world!!!
Daughter-in-law Amy is always there when I need something and this time it was cowboy boots and of course she had those and a pink bandana that I could borrow and they fit me perfectly!
So on display for last night's Cowboy/Cowgirl theme dinner was this picture of us taken in the 1980s on a visit to Branson, Missouri and it's a tintype and we were told not to smile.  We did pretty dang good as the Deep South Confederate Family even though I am for sure a Yankee!
 I got this birthday card from a friend a couple years ago and I do love the theme and the message.  Anyone my age will get it!
And thanks to Ross last night we had the usual theme menu on each plate and I do the cookin' and he do the cleanin' up!!!
Testing out my camera for the "goofy family photo" in my boots, bandana and cowboy hat which I got next door at their garage sale for $1!  Such a deal.
The crazy goofy group and the Latvian couple on the right always contribute fun and this time is was the wooden horse stick, moustaches and silver sheriff's badges for all of us.  What a bunch of good sports!  The discussions around the table go on for a few hours and are always interesting with new information even if it's Heartburn and Hearing Aids"!   Funny how the topics change as we age.
 Love the theme wine contribution and it makes me wish my name was Nelly - I love that name!
So two of the ladies had a great idea for the next theme:  "Lutheran Church Basement Ladies Potluck" and we would need aprons and it just so happened my mom made one for me in 2008.  I still want to be just like my mom but I have a ways to go to match her sweetness and kindness to everyone - still working on it.
This is one of my favorite all-time pictures of me and my mom.  She died in April of 2010 and was born in August of 1926.  A couple of her themes were "I'll rest when I'm dead" and "I choose to be happy"!!!
Coming up:  Daughter Jenny and granddaughter Rooke will be arriving this week so I ask Jenny if she has any special dinner requests and one is Macaroni and Tomato Juice - hmmm - I grew up on this cheap meal (probably because we didn't have much money) and passed it on to my kids but for some reason I rarely make it now even though we like it.
And off we go,......

No comments:

Post a Comment