Daughter-in-law Amy is now 6 years and 1 month out from brain tumor surgery. She turns 40 next month and has been with our son Chris for over 20 years. The last MRI yesterday was again clear and a miracle. I have been to nearly every one every 4-5 months (used to be 3 months) and we have the same "no jinx" plan. We wear Ross' mom's turquoise bracelets, eat lunch at Manny's Tortas and shop a little in the global market and Chris meets us at the doc appt and sometimes for lunch. My hand looks a little old and wrinkled but I see that as a full long life!
My MRI gear: my mom's watch, Dorothy's turquoise bracelet and a "lucky bell" that I got from Amy over 5 years ago. Same thing every time!!!Another quarterly "event" when I met my high school friend Peggy at North Branch Coffee and Cafe - excellent food and halfway for each of us and we talk for 4 hours. I keep reading of the things that keeps Super Adults healthy mentally and physically and one of them is socializing. (Apparently Super Adult is the new term for senior citizen as us baby boomers are balking at some stuff)
Another quarterly meetup: My college friends and it's kind of like a chapter book where the stories keep coming. They now are close to being empty nesters with college kids and have reading glasses or bifocals. Love it. In our internship I was about 36-40 years old, had two elementary school kids and these girls were in their 20s and liked to hang out at our house and we did party lightly!!! We all agree that we got each other through the ordeal of the long internship.
June 1987 University of Minnesota graduation. The two in the middle are sitting at the table above and yes I had brown curly hair - fake color, fake curl.
Ross and I went to an excellent play "Gypsy" this week at Pantages theater and I happened to look up and see this beautiful ceiling. The theater opened in 1916 as a vaudeville house and Gypsy Rose Lee actually performed here on a tour.
Funny thing is this is the "Charm Quartet" and Ross' aunt Genevieve is 2nd from left. She was in vaudeville, then an opera singer and then taught voice at the University of Texas. Maybe she even performed at the Pantages - who knows??? I know they toured around by train. I am a lucky person to have known her in my life as she was a LOT of fun!
Lots of pots on the stove right now - California soon, niece Sara and family visit, Croatia, Jolly Fisherman Resort family reunion and Peru/Bolivia - whew! The fishing boys are already embellishing tales about who exactly caught the biggest fish last year:)And just an aside I just read that this year's Oscars (movies) statuettes are being designed and done in New York by the son of Croatian immigrants. It's a global world for sure.




No comments:
Post a Comment