Every year when Nine-Eleven arrives I think of the day it happened. I was at work in the hospital and a coworker Cathy arrived about 8:45 and looked pale and shaken and told us some of what she had heard on the radio. It was very quiet in the hospital wards that day and many employees were sneaking over to peek at any available television. A very sad day for the USA!
This picture from our family trip in 1991 shows the twin towers at NYC in the background and who would have thought 10 years later they would be destroyed by terrorist planes.
On the other side - how many people would take two 15 year olds and a 17 year old on a trip to Washington DD, Boston, New York City and other places for about 3 weeks. It was a very memorable experience for all of us!!!! And they still say it's not the money you spend on things but money spent on experiences that bring memories - I for sure agree with that.
After a 4.4 mile walk with my walking buddy today I walked a block back to this nearby church and took yet another photo of the memorial to Tom Burnett who said "Let's roll" on the Pennsylvania flight which killed him but more than likely saved the US Capitol or White House from being destroyed! He attended the elementary school a block from where we live and the church just across the street.Every time I read an article about "Happiness" it says social contacts, exercise, friends and doing stuff are what make people happy - not money. This week my high school best buddy Beth drove by herself from Kansas City to my house to spend the night, giggle, have a glass of wine, dinner and spend the night. It's never long enough!!!
Minnesota State Fair aka The Great Minnesota Get-Together. Definitely a family affair and now with 6 of us we get to choose at least one food, one place to visit and no complaining allowed - at least not for longer than a minute! Alex with the mini- donuts and Lucy stuffing some in her mouth.
We all really get into it every year. I don't think as a child I ever missed a Red Lake County fair. My dad loved fairs and we went at least twice or more and I remember him lifting me up to see things, choose foods and get on rides. Memories!!!
History of beer in Minnesota - who knew this happened in the year of my birth. They had a map of the Minnesota craft breweries and that is the latest rage all over the country apparently. I don't even like beer:)
Smokey the Bear and Lucy giving the High Five!
University of North Dakota is having to change the name Fighting Sioux to something more politically correct and it's taking a lot of meetings and a lot of time. It's been the Sioux since 1930 so a very long history of good hockey and other sports teams. No decision yet but you can still buy "stuff" at the fair.
Sweet Martha's cookies and no I did not eat the whole cup - it was for 6 of us and we finished the whole darn thing and one that dropped to the ground was only there 2 seconds so it was just fine to eat:)
Australia here we come and as our Pennsylvania travel mate says when I told her I broke down and ordered a 25" suitcase instead of my usual 22 inch - "I am glad you caved" - hehehe - it ain't on the plane yet!!!
Busy times coming up at our house but nothing new for the Jones B&B and we both love it - thank goodness!

No comments:
Post a Comment