Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

First 30 hours in San Diego

Family vacation - spring break - Chris has inherited my trip planning genes.  The first night he chose a fish restaurant with locally sourced fish and we could eat outside!  Unbelievable since when we left home yesterday morning it was snowing and 9 degrees.
 Mission Bay - part of San Diego and a nice calm place to stay.  I think we have stayed in this area at least 4 times.
 It sounds like in the next couple days Alex and Chris will be testing the two person kayaks.  We have two kayaks that come with our house but only hold one person and no - I will not be one of them as I have my genetic fear of water.
 Our house on the beach.  It's not Highclere Castle on Downton Abbey but it has everything we need at a decent price and location can't be beat.
 In 1968-70 I worked for the Principal of the Torrance CA school system and I met a good and forever friend Jan who is a native Californian.  When I moved back to MN she rode with me and brother Kent and visited my farm and saw snow for the first time.  Today she and her husband Frank drove down from south of LA where they live to spend the day with us.  It was great!  Frank is Hungarian and has an accent and coached me a bit on speaking Hungarian.
 Me and Jan - as with most of my friends we have both been through a lot but manage to have time to meet whenever we can and the last time was a couple years ago.  We had a good honest Mexican lunch at a locally owned cantina.
 The house came with "beach cruisers" - well I guess they are if you can overlook years of rust and wear but we did get the tires pumped up and off we went down the Bay Walk.  And best of all I still remembered how to ride a bike with no fancy options and brakes you have to pedal backwards to make it stop.  I'm pretty used to my fancy "cruiser" at home and the nice hand brakes.
Nitey nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment