Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy Birthday to Chris!

Our son Chris turns 39 today!!!  I look at this picture from January 31, 1975 and I think:   How could I have been old enough to have a child?  I was almost 28 and considered "older" to have a child in "those days".  I recall our whole house was done in red, white and blue.  I would like to say it was a patriotic theme but there was not an American flag anywhere inside the house.  I just liked the colors - that's all!!!
 Mom and son toasting at the State Fair aka "The Great Minnesota Get Together" at the Minnesota wine booth!  I like the cardboard "flights of wine"  made into the state's shape!
 I continue to be possessed with travel and libraries and public television.  This week I saw an ad for a free talk by one of my favorite travel show guys on PBS right here in good old Bloomington.  Can't beat free so it will be interesting as I think part of it might be trying to sell tours as it is sponsored by a tour company!  I have warned Ross of this:).  Now there is a long waiting list to get in.
 Update on the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Network - I'm in!!!  Had the interview yesterday and had my photo and "biometric measurements" - thank goodness just all my fingers and thumbs - taken.  The guy is entering the information and says "Five foot none, right?" - I say "Yes, but I would like to put Five Foot One but don't want to lie".  At the demo kiosk machine he tells me I will either need to stand on my tiptoes or wear high heels when I use it as it looks at your face and the camera is at the height for "normal" people.  It was actually a fun interview at Customs and Border Control and apparently has really taken off more than they expected.  I forsee long lines at what is supposed to be the fast line!!!!
So I'm ready with my new little journals from Amy, my Trusted Traveler doc and my translator.  I'm in the process of upgrading to one with 44 languages instead of only 20!!!
The most exciting thing I found out is that is IS legal to bring in cheese - even Brie -but they said "not the runny kind like cottage cheese".  Last fall's trip to France had me bringing in some pretty smelly cheeses but they were sure good.
I am questioning why it costs $80 to add  26 blank pages to my passport.  I hate mailing in my passport but will need the pages before leaving for China in the fall!!!!  Oh the rules........but since I am a Trusted Traveler I will do it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment