Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Algeria, Social Security and Tsunami!

Algeria:  I am listening to the news of the hostage and terrorist strikes in Algeria where the US is now involved.  I was thinking of the young female driver guide on our day trip to St. Emilion in France.  She was married to an Algerian and was soon to be on her way to meet her mother-in-law and spend a month there.  I think Algeria was once a French colony.
Social Security:  I do most things online so had never been to a Social Security office.  Since new security measures and password protects started this month I could not get onto the website, two lengthy phone conversations resulting in NOTHING so they sent me to the office.  I sat down and thought how much it reminded me of the emergency room in Krakow, Poland - it was 2 miles from my home!  I'm in though and I see that I have 34 years of contributing to SS so have worked over half of my life so far, last employment 2010, first employment 1964, out time for school and childraising. 
Ancestors:  I found some old clippings and this is from a 1931 newspaper about the charter members of my little country church, Immanuel Lutheran, Wylie Township, Minnesota.  The last words read "they have lived to see their children's children and peace upon Israel".  I doubt that will even happen in my lifetime.  Click on picture to enlarge. It is my great grandfather Herman Schultz and it says they came to the church in the '80s - that's the 1880s!
Back side of photo - I see the church had both German and English services.  Oh how I wish I could have heard that but it brought me back to Ross and I attending a German Lutheran church in Sommerhausen, Germany a few years ago.  We sang out of the hymnal and moved our lips so we would fit in - faking German and shaking hands when people greeted us.
The little church and the 50th wedding anniversary celebration for my great grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Wolff.  My great-grandmother lived with us at times and I remember sitting at her feet as she sat on a wooden rocking chair in our kitchen.  I was fascinated with the long hose that were rolled all the way down - she would let me roll them up and down.
1961 - my cousin Denny on our farm taking me for a ride on our family scooter and me of course wearing flipflops.  I told a friend the other day I even wore them in the barn and she turned her nose up at that one.  I also was riding on the back once when a friend was driving who did not know where the brakes were so we went over a culvert.  My left knee still is a little brown!!!  Took a long time for that scab to heal from hitting the gravel road.
Tsunami:  I love Scottish actor Ewan McGregor so saw the movie The Impossible this week - about a young family who survived the 2004 tsunami after the earthquake that affected 13 countries in Asia and killed 234,000 people and possibly many more who have never surfaced.  Great movie!  Also saw Life of Pi - loved the book and the movie.  I'm now ready for the Academy Award nominations to start.
Now I am all ready for niece Molly, Josh, Lily and Claire to arrive tomorrow.  I have been walking with my faithful walking friends twice a week and today had a group hug for the husband of one who continues to battle cancer.  Pray for Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment