Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Is it Wolf, Wolff, or Woolf????

Bloomington Summer Fete 2012 - "Feast" in French and always held on July 3 in Bloomington - it was HOT but we had lots of ice packs and stuff.  Amy and Lucy do look like Mom and Daughter!  I didn't even complain when Lucy sat on my lap when the heat index was 100+
Heißer als die Hölle Hier! - translated from German to English "Hotter than Hell Here"!  On the national news we are one of many "red" states - hot!
I was so proud of my grandchildren once again as they held their flags and stood and sang the National Anthem.  Alex said to me:  "Grammy, we are lucky, we have freedom".
So what to do on a hot day but geneaology research - my family cemetery - my great-grandparents near all the other Schultz family members including my ma and pa.  I found her name is probably Albertine Wilhelmine Friedrike Henriette Zibell and was born 24 November 1848 in Pommern, Cochem-Zell, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany - I want to find this place!  Thousands of people left especially this area of Germany for freedom and a better life in America and they found it.  The lady above with the long name is also listed as a spouse "Mina" - probably difficult to pronounce the whole name!
Southern Minnesota grave - Pilgrim's Cemetery.  Now I'm on the search for German census records.  The difficult part is numerous spellings including on the 1910 US Census - is it Wolff as I always thought, or Woolf or Wolf as I have found in research.
My great-great grandmother named Friedricke Lau Knaack - wow - I see cornfields near my ancestors dead and alive!  Wanderer's Rest Cemetery, Gordonsville, Freeborn County, Minnesota
So - my biggest thought of the day is HAPPY 236TH BIRTHDAY TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - I LOVE MY COUNTRY!!!  I almost always get a big lump in my throat at the National Anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment