Last March I see a small paragraph in our Star Tribune about Turkish American cooking classes saying "you will not only learn new dishes but get some tips, learn about different cultures, make new friends, taste delicious foods and have fun. So I signed up for 3 classes. So June 12 Sunday afternoon was the day. I'm a little tired, whiny, it's more than 25 miles from home but I would not be so rude to cancel and thought 2 hour class is about right. Wow - it was a most amazing experience. The menu: Domates corbasi, karniyarik, sebzeli bulgar pilavi (tomato soup, eggplant stuffed with meat, Bulgur pilaf) - all from scratch.There were 5 women (4 from Turkey, 1 from Uzbekistan, all young moms, well educated from RN to PhD in engineering, physics etc. Their goal is for good international relations so they like to welcome people into their homes. Below was not part of the cooking class but only the appetizers set out for us to try made by two Turkish sisters.Centerstage is the one who did a lot of the translation for the chef (later photo). She has lived here 19 years and she and her husband came to the UofM for their doctorate work and ended up staying, having a family, home and all the regular ties that people have except their parents still live in Turkey.
The talk soon went to 9/11 what else. They tell us how they were so sad (they lived here too!) and I said there are just bad people in the world and not all Muslims or Somalians or whomever are bad. The talk went to Hitler and how the Germans must have felt to be blamed for a lot of things.
I'm still excited today and feel that this is one of those moments of serendipity in life (Ross' mom's favorite word). Oh I almost forgot - since the cost was $20 one guest said "it's good to have this many people because then you can make money" - all the time I had been thinking this was costing them much more than we paid. The host's reply and not in a bad way: "Well, it's really not about making money, it's about making friends" - WELL PUT!!!
I love this story. :) It is what we all need to do.
ReplyDeleteHello! I am Peggy Schaupp's daughter Nicole, and she gave me the link to your blog. I love it! And, I would love to take these Turkish cooking classes! Are they in the Twin Cities? Can I get more information on them? You can email me at locilani@gmail.com. Thanks!!!
ReplyDelete