Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Variety is the Spice of Life!



Where have I been? What have I done?
Does the backyard look familiar from other postings? Indeed it does - our favorite picture spot. The pictures are my college friends from my internship program (acronym CUP - Coordinated Undergraduate Program - in dietetics and nutrition). There were 10 of us - 5 are here. I was and still am the elder stateswoman - the rest are in their 40s.
1st picture U of MN graduation June 1987 (Tamra, Dee, Ingrid, Julie: 2nd picture my house - a party - very mature - August 1987, right before the Great Metro flood; Julie, Dara, Sara, Ingrid, Vaneeta with back to us); third picture - still mature - August 2009: Andrea - HR specialist, Ingrid - Free-Lance Nutrition Consultant (still a dietitian), Mary - does it all at Broder' Italian restaurant management for 18 years now, Vaneeta - lives in/near Silicon Valley, HR and accountant, Dee - Retired nearly a year now - still an RD...could reenter the job force at a moment's notice but doubtful!
Who's missing, Karen - doctor in Seattle; Dara -owner of a fine paper boutique in Dubai, UAE; Karen - elementary teacher in WI, Julie - communications professor in Michigan; Sara - extension service in Detroit Lakes.
Where you ask are these trained dietitians who memorized the Atomic Element Table, the chemical structure of hydrogen peroxide and probably also butter, did Organic Chemistry experiments in which I caused a lab evacuation by dropping a mercury thermometer on the floor, dissected small bugs and frogs then labeled their parts, and baked buns for the Anoka School District - all part of classes and internship. They are happy, well and thriving by finding the humor in each other and in each day.
As usual we had a great time and lots of laughs and fortunately we have kept up with each other since we graduated in 1987 - me with a 13 and 11 year old who lived through my 9 years of college!!!!! - oh and Ross did too. They are now dealing with preteen and teenagers - yahoo!!

What else: Made my first of two annual trips to the State Fair - Alex again driving me to Chicago on the
$9K John Deere. In spite of 114,000 record attendees that first day we had a great time.

Travel update:
*
Russia OUT, Austria, Poland and Czechoslovakia IN - instead of Moscow/St. Petersburg we are going to
Prague - Krakow - Vienna next spring. I was having a little difficulty deciphering Russian train schedules, did not particularly care to fly on Aeroflot. Now I have made reservations in Polish at a hotel in Krakow - I know that May is Maj - the reply was in English; have rented an apartment from Mirak Bubka in Prague. I am not sure if this is a male or female and it doesn't matter.
*Niece Sara - our "Inspired Adventurer" blog - is moving to Vilseck Germany in a few weeks and for a couple years practicing in her field - Optometry! I fear that she is in for a lot of family visits including ours.
Hope you are all enjoying these last days of summer.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. It looks like a fun group of friends!
    Nicole liked Russia. I need to get the two of you together!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the progression from brown to gray hair. Just look what you've achieved during all those years, good friends, good job, good life.

    ReplyDelete