Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2020

COVID-19 (Coronavirus), Isolation, Keeping Busy!

So the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic continues and thank goodness I'm not the hysterical type!!!  We are lucky about a lot of things:  We could livestream our church service from laptop to TV as most churches in the state of MN are closed - even Catholic!!!  Recommendation is to stay home and we have not quite yet gotten to the "Shelter at Home" mandate that California, NY, Illinois and a few other states have done.  So we are in self-isolation and being really careful as of course I am still elder, underlying medical condition, immune compromised and undergoing treatment for cancer!!!
Next - I had to pick up a new prescription yesterday and with our good insurance (THANK GOODNESS) it was "only" $565 for a 90 day supply instead of the $1500 with no insurance.  Way cheaper in Canada but I haven't come to that yet.
Fun thing - I got an envelope of photos and newspaper clippings from my 2nd cousin here in MN as she has been cleaning up family photos and a bunch of people got some!
I noted where i am and these are all my brothers, 1st and 2nd cousins.  The little boy in the front row is my brother Kent and helping him with his "pop" bottle is my brother Keith and they were 5 years apart.  Keith is the brother who died from leukemia at age 34 in 1983.  We only got cases of pop for reunions, birthday parties and special events and it was doled out to be fair.
 My silly mom and I think I have a bit of her feisty personality as she is serving coffee with the avocado refrigerator in the background and sticking her tongue out at someone!
 This was in my hometown paper Red Lake Falls Gazette and I do notice the town Muskogee is spelled as Muskegee - maybe kind of like the Tuskegee airmen.  Like in the prairie of northern MN who ever heard of Muskogee?????
 I remember my mom telling me I was always taking most of my clothes off and then running when I got chased - stubborn little girl from what I have heard often.
 This is my "Grandpa Ferdy's house" and not even sure when it was built but the cars are old and his name was Ferdinand Gustav Schultz and of course German.
 Several years later when we all lived there it was remodeled and the "attic" made  into 3 bedrooms and of course it needed windows.  I remember in high school when a friend and I stole a cigarette from my Dad's pack and opened the window, smoked and blew it out and I felt like I was going to faint. 
Now onto the old Jones family photos!  Our dining room table is full and this is a very small part of what we have.  My hubby Ross in 1950 so about 7 years old and I'm pretty sure this is a "girlfriend" as he has his arm around her.  I like the rolled up jeans just like my brothers wors as the taller they got you just rolled them down.
 Very proper and probably not a girlfriend but a minister's daughter from the St. Paul United Methodist church in Muskogee.  We have both experienced a few religions - Ross - First Christian, Episcopal, Presbyterian and now back to United Methodist.  Me:  Missouri Synod Lutheran, Episcopal, Presbyterian and now United Methodist.
 A friend said Ross looks like a guy from the Monkees!  This is maybe right after we got married and we were in Oklahoma and looking very "hippie"!
 Shortly before we got married:
 We had 2 kids by then and I was "stylish" and drinking beer at the Jones family home but apparently that was not a problem because everyone else was also drinking beer, wine, or whiskey for happy hour.
 Ross and his mom's sister - Genevieve Luhn who in her lifetime was an opera singer, part of a traveling vaudeville quartet and lived in New York City.  She later became a music professor at the University of Texas Austin for many years.  Her 2nd husband invented the Lunometer which counts threads in fabric, ex. 300 count cotton sheets.  He was a German genius!
 Lots of photos of John Ross as he was always called growing up - the South you know and I always compare it to "Billy Bob" which he doesn't like too well.  So he goes by Ross or J. Ross Jones and NOT John Jones which of course is his legal name.





 Probably Ross as a teenager and he invented this pulley machine - it's no surprise that he got a Master's in Electrical Engineering!  Growing up he had a treehouse in the backyard which he wired to have light bulbs, he set off something with gun powder in a room upstairs which always had a dark spot on the ceiling, then he and a friend so he says - were able to wire and tap into phone lines of some teenage girls.  Our house is still a bit crazy with electronic gear which I mostly don't understand.
 Music is still one of his favorite pastimes and this photo is cute.  His brother is holding a baseball mitt while Ross plays the clarinet for him.  Different personalities for sure!
 And he tells me not to have a party for his 40th birthday but his work staff brought  a cake to his office and invited me to a surprise private lunch party at a private Officer's Club near Fort Snelling.
 Next - Ross' grandfather (his Mom's father) and this is what she wrote about her Dad - really interesting and  she did a little book and had it printed called "A Potpourri of Fact and Fancy" by Dorothy Douglass Jones.  This is just one page!






So that's it for today!  I'm still mentally prepared for Chemo #4 on 27 March and I would guess they won't delay it like they have a lot of other "elective" things due to the coronavirus.  Everything is a wait and see approach but I want to keep on schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment