We have the greatest group of friends who aren't afraid to arrive at our theme dinners. It's usually a trial run menu item test for me but "usually" good food - sometimes a little strange but the Peruvian dinner was just fine - or in Spanish "eso es buena" = that is good! The bulls of Pucara: In one area of the country they are seen on a lot of houses so we found a deal and even though they were quite large we managed to get them home in Ross' suitcase. Handmade of clay and wood and in cash US$ we paid about $20. They were happy to greet our guests!
Menu on one side and the story of the bull on the back: Click on photo to enlarge.The guys - trying to look serious with food cooking and beer on ice in front of them. Fer sure!!!
I still don't know how we come up with the topics at our dinner table but the lengthiest one this time was not about the Inaugaration of the day - thank goodness! - it was about not having toilets or urinals on Machu Picchu. Ross started this story because about 3-4 hours into the climb guess what? yup - man has to pee! So he had to go all the way back to the beginning and pay to pee! At this point the ladies are smirking and the men are shaking their heads in understanding....that is until I mention the word "sneezepee" which all the females appeared to understand.
Machu Picchu - yes - it's a long climb and they tell you to keep hydrated but I can't remember any potty talk prior to hitting the trail!
A lovely snow day with Alex and Lucy and I keep saying I am so happy I can still go sledding. I must admit it's a little tougher getting up and down from my knees but I wait until nobody's watching.
Antra - one of our dinner guests and a docent at the Mpls. Inst of Arts (MIA or mee-yah) treated us to a special tour of the Martin Luther Reformation Exhibit. This is the only city in the USA that had it and it came from a few towns in Germany. Minnesota won because apparently we have 1 million Lutherans. Now I am hooked on learning all I can about Martin Luther since I was raised a Missouri Synod Lutheran and of course weren't encouraged to ask questions and mostly encouraged to memorize everything we could!!! 2017 is the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther posting his 95 Theses and the start of the Reformation and a break from the power of the Catholic church.Funnies: The last time Lucy was with us she shampooed her hair and used my conditioner called FAST FOOD. She looks at it a little funny and says "Grammy, you know fast food isn't good for you"!
Next thought - in 1995-96 Ross worked in Hastings England and this is where we lived. Sandrock Hall was built for a Baron and Baroness in the 1880s, became a convent, maybe a hospital and then apartments. I'm trying to organize old pictures and my life story!!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment