Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Thanksgiving, A Houseful and a New Car!

Just like growing up on the farm I'm following my mom's footsteps by having full dinner tables and not getting stressed about it.  We had a really fun Thanksgiving with 15 at the table plus the 25# turkey - biggest one I have roasted and it was good.
 I like to cook and hate to bake (except bread) so niece Molly said she would bring desserts.  Molly and Josh have 4 little girls from 7 years old to 19 months old and the girls decorated this cookie based turkey and we finished it!
 Next up the pies:  pumpkin with turkey decor and the best apple pie ever - hope my mom isn't hearing that!  But I do think Molly is following in her Grandma Hazel's footsteps with her sewing, crafting and baking....thank goodness because it's not me on the baking end.
 2nd cousins Claire and Lucy with "costumes" from my dress-up kid drawer.  Egyptian,  Middle eastern, daughter Jenny's old prom dress (which Claire is wearing in the family photo) and whatever pops up.  I figured I would not be wearing the gallibayah dress again after floating down the Nile cruise!
 The group:  Amy's Dad and his partner Scott, Paul's brother from Montana, Chris/Amy and family, Molly, Josh and 4 girls and Ross and I.  Nice that we can still squeeze into that corner and use a tiny tripod.
 We had to buy a new fake pre-lit Christmas tree because ours croaked just as the kids were going to hang decorations so what's the best toy in town:  the big box the tree came in which became an entry to an "apartment" with windows, doors, drapes and Chinese welcome sign.
 Claire and Hazel:
 And for all the work they did - a ICOYO party.  We have DOYO (dinner on your own) - Alex thought of this - LOYO and BOYO (lunch and breakfast) so why not 6 kinds of Ice Cream On Your Own!
 I got a new car 2 days ago so this is the old one that is gone on that truck to daughter Jenny in California.
 Bye Bye Car!
 Hello smaller, smarter, sportier SUV.  Ross was excited about all the "stuff" - keyless entry, eyesight stuff to tell if I am going to run into something and lots of other stuff.  I am not a techie so it's a slow learning curve.  2nd day of errands today and I drive to the grocery very proud that I did not dig in my purse for my keys - don't need them.  Got out of the car, tapped the handle to lock it - NOT happening, tried again - NOT!  Guess what?  You can't leave the car running and lock it from the outside.  I bet I will remember that.  But I can play my Rod Stewart songs off my USB stick!
 Christmas 2005 and this picture always pops up of little Alex in his "high water pants".
And Grammy in about 1966 ready to roll in my Snoopy sweatshirt and knee-his.
So December is here and we have green grass all around which is really fine with me especially with a new car:).

No comments:

Post a Comment