NOTHING COMPARES TO THE SIMPLE PLEASURE OF A BIKE RIDE
John F. Kennedy
I remember my first bike that I had to share with my brother. We had to get a larger size so we could "grow into it". For us to get on the bike we had to pull it up to the front porch steps and hop on and pedal fast and then to stop we had to hop off!!! I've come a long way and getting to my 7th decade I still love biking even if I might be a little slower.
We've been lucky to have grandkids hanging out with us a lot this summer and now that Lucy is 8 she can ride far and a long time.
The Japanese garden which is less than 2 miles from us is dedicated to the Japanese Americans who were stationed here during WWII and also financially supported this way. They were thankful for the kind treatment from the people of Minnesota from 1941-1946. There is a plaque and Alex and Lucy read it solemnly and asked some questions.
Next up soon - our annual crazy family reunion at Jolly Fisherman. This is from a couple years ago and on purpose we wanted to look like a bunch of hillbillies. It's not too hard with this bunch and believe it or not we are all college educated!!!
August 2009. My mom's chatting with Lucy and little did we know that about 8 months later she would die from her bad heart but she did live life to the fullest.
My bike with the 2010 sticker saying "I ride for Amy Griffin Jones". It was a fundraiser thing for the Brain Tumor Association. Alex and Lucy love that it's on my bike and so do I.
Richardson Nature Center on our bike ride today and if you provide your driver's license you can borrow a big "pond skimming bucket and supplies" for free. We have done it many times and this is healthy scum not like the toxic algae we have heard about.
Five years ago Alex doing the same thing at 6 years old. It's a look of fascination.
And on to packing and so looking forward to my brother and nephew visiting from California in just a couple days. More to come...........



No comments:
Post a Comment