Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

“Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.” ― M.F.K. Fisher

I've been saving that quote for a long time and it often fits my life!  What I learned this week:  Our wall oven/microwave combo "died" a couple days ago (installed in 2003) and today the repairman said parts are no longer made for it - WHAT????  So we measure and after my cooking class we bought a new unit - costs nearly twice as much as the previous.  Our first appliances in our first house lasted nearly 25 years!!!  Thank goodness I have another larger oven with gas cooktop and the fancy electronic sensor panel has been only "half dead" since last summer's power outage/storm.  New parts close to $400 - oh well!  This one was purchased in 2006.  So tonight I studied the life of appliances - we are right on track for appliance cremation! Microwave about 9 years, stove 12-13 years and ours do get heavy use.
The other night Ross mentioned his grandma gave him $500 for a car when he turned 16, Ross' parents gave our kids $2,000 for a car when they turned 16 so he says if you do the math and follow the program we will have to contribute $8,000 in a few years!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing little granddaughter Rooke next week.  I'm also looking forward to 85 and sunny weather in Corona CA.  She's going to be taller than me any day now.
March 21 view across the street from our house - ducks on the pond and ice finally gone:
Two days later - what a difference a couple days can make in March in Minnesota:
Our friend Antra who is a volunteer docent at the Mpls Inst. of Arts took us on a wonderful tour of the Habsburg exhibit.  When I got the first email from her I thought surely that is a typo - not!  I always thought it was Hapsburg but that is the Americanized version where Habsburg is German.  I learned that Marie Antoinette had 15 brothers and sisters so she made 16 - wow that is productive!  The artists' works on display were absolutely wonderful.
So blah blah blah about Italy again - getting closer.  I figured out the train from Rome airport to this little station in Fara Sabina where we will get picked up and driven to Toffia. I can envision us looking out at these views with a little Italian wine and resting our feet after  long days of cooking - wink wink:>)
Toffia places where we will stay - 




 View from one of the places:
So my wish for the night is no more appliances that go bye bye in the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment