Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Sometimes life gets busy and I have lots of meandering thoughts.  This week I met a friend at the Art Institute who also is a tour guide.  Listening to stories about the works of art she said "kind of like Watteau".  So I think now I know I heard that name before and indeed it's true.  I borrowed my wedding dress from a hometown friend and in those days the announcements described the dress and it had a "Watteau train" - this may be a little difficult to read but it's about me and was probably in the Muskogee Phoenix.  Try to click to enlarge.
 Next a discussion with another friend about Betty Crocker and I'm thinking I recall winning a prize.  So down to the basement I go to dig in boxes and I find my Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow pin - circa about 1964.  Wow - I couldn't cook a thing, didn't know how to clean house but I was a good test-taker and it was a written test:)  So pelase just call me Betty from now on.
 This is my walking, state fair, movie friend who with her little grandson joined us for sledding.  It was a load of fun to hold hands in 5 sleds and all go down at the same time hollering and laughing all the way.  Alex says I went down the hill 20 times - might have been only 15 but my butt felt like 20 the next day.  Here Alex is counting his Skittles at the visitor center by the hill.
My high school friends and I communicate by email almost daily and got talking about our parents.  My father dropped dead of a heart attack in the school where he worked at age 63.  No cell phones in that day but the principal and family friend called me and said we better come home.  Since he was not yet pronoun ced officially dead by a doctor he couldn't tell us and we had to drive the 5-6 hours to find out.  Another's father died at 58, and another at age 65.  We have all made it past that point and feel fortunate.  My little prayerbook prayer of the day said often people ask "How are you today"  answer:  "fine" and we should say "I am grateful" - and maybe have the opportunity to briefly give a small reason why.
I met a friend today for lunch and the movie Amour - wow - did that cement my wishes on my Advance Directives. The movie is up for some Acad Award nominations. 
My computer died - I have to learn to use Windows 8.  Our phones died - I have to learn to use new phones.  I need to deal with getting a visa for China.....blah blah blah.  But...... I am grateful that I could afford a new computer and new phones without a wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment