Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Noah's Pudding

 I'm trying very hard to do a post once a week when not "on the road" or in the air!  Today was my last Turkish event of the year and it was to celebrate Day of Ashure.
Ashure is a part of the culinary tradition of Turkey as well as many of the surrounding countries, and Christian and Jewish cultures as well as Muslim share similar versions under a variety of names.
It is claimed that when Noah's Ark came to rest on Mount Ararat in northeastern Turkey, Noah's family celebrated with a special dish. Since their supplies were nearly exhausted, what was left (primarily grains, dried fruits and the like) was cooked together to form a pudding, what is now call Ashure.
Among Turkish and Balkan Sufis the ashure pudding is prepared with special prayers for health, healing, safety, success and spiritual nourishment.
Traditionally, Ashure is made in large quantities to commemorate the ark's landing and is distributed to friends, relatives, neighbors, colleagues, classmates, etc. without regard to the recipient's religion or belief system as an offering of peace and love.
So I must admit the above was clipped from Wikipedia:)  But what a wonderful tradition for anyone.  It was not a cooking class but a "pot luck" so we all brought a dish to share and we had lots of food and about 20 people - half of them the Turkish ladies.  What a delightful group - asking me if I was having turkey and all the trimmings for Thanksgiving.  This is my photo of the pudding and it was super good even though it looks a little globby.  I can't wait until the 2013 classes!

I traded in my car for a new one this week but before my old one left me I needed to take a photo of the back tire cover with all the fine scratches.  When Amy was in Sister Kenny after brain tumor surgery in 2010 I had both little kids in my car (Lucy crying at not yet 2 years old and late at night after visiting her at the hospital) and I didn't pull in far enough before putting the garage door down.  Oh well - it was and is a minor thing....only scratches and always a reminder.
So this week:  Thursday Amy had her purse stolen from her cart at Target - I was called out there to  rescue  her and Lucy and the staff and police, phone store and everyone involved could not have been more kind.  But it is a traumatic event - so in my days of gratefulness she was fortunate that her car and house keys were in her pocket and Target bought a lunch for them!  They saw the thief on video and apparently she is not new to the trade but not getting caught - darn.
Technology:  I was determined to get a car with a navigation system - me who wants to shoot and stomp on my smart phone now 18 months old!  Ross is not a good teacher for me so I preferred to have "Andy the car guy" instruct me even after Ross offered - I have always been a strong willed woman - some say the s word (stubborn).  I got my home address in along with the 20 miles away Turkish class and got there and home after programming it myself.  Next - the bluetooth that will connect to StupidPhone - Ross tried to help but then told me I do not have to shout loudly "Call Home" at the center of the steering wheel - lesson stopped!
Veteran's Day:  I am proud that my Dad and brothers are all veterans.  As a 2nd cousin said "Where would our country be without our veterans?"
Impact Lives:  Yesterday Ross and I helped pack food to send to Haiti - our table of 10 packed 3672 meals in 2 hours.  The entire church room packed 52228 meals in 2 hours and there were several shifts after ours and plans for over 285,000 meals.  It is a once a year event at a local church that I just happened to find in the newspaper.  And again how small the world is - the first person we see is Alex's kindergarten and 1st grade teacher whom we all loved - there with her parents.  Impact Lives said the world population is about 6.8 billion and 3 billion are living on less than $2.50 a day.  We need to do more!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment