Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Okie from Muskogee

We don't visit Ross' hometown nearly as often as in past years.  This is the year that MOST (except Ross) of the Class of 1960  turn 70.  Someone last night asked me if I was from Canada as they detected an accent.  My Grandma Sylvester  spoke a little "Canadian" - and yes I know it is English.
I saw this old poster in a history of Muskogee book - "Sportsmen's Paradise" and these images would most likely not fly today!  Small sailboat, big gun, big guy and beautiful woman - hmmmmm - what is the name of that sport?
Might be a bit blurry but I was lurking at the Dollar Store and at the checkout saw this Marijuana Home Drug Test - right next to the cigarette lighters - pretty handy. 
 Drove out to a Jones farm - you can barely see the roof of the ramshackle house but I did see the turkey vultures swooping - I'm told they eat carrion also known as dead flesh - who knows what is in that house - squirrels or worse?
 I am glad to know this old hotel was "fireproof" since the city of Muskogee was devastated by 2 large fires ages ago.
 I love old cemeteries and always request this particular one.  Few graves most dating from late 1890s to 1915 or so.  Wonder what it was like to have the last name "Outlaw" in the wild west type town of Muskogee.
 So this has been here a while - he's still alive but unable to return to US but he has made sure there is a lovely place to return to!  Apparently the Catholic part of the cemetery asked that it be moved.
 Friends from Texas - sitting having a drink she tells me she carries a small handgun and has the CHL (concealed handgun license) in Texas.  That's Texas for y'all.
 I think Chet's Dairy Freeze (circa 1948) might have called itself the #1 Tourist Attraction but I must admit by butterscotch malt was excellent.
 "The Boys of Central" - hmm - I keep hearing more and more stories of misbehavior - When I said "line up" they really stood at attention and maybe sucked in the gut a little too.  I do think they look much younger than stated age.
 A best friend of Ross' - love the laughs and fun.  He also set me on the path to visiting all the National Parks (senior lifetime park pass $10 all parks), and encouraged delving deeper into photography.  I'm so attached to my tiny pocket around-the-world camera.  I so admire great photography and special photo exhibits in museums.  As laughing makes you live longer there should be many many more reunions.
 More classmates - the 2nd guy is from Wilmington DE and it's who Ross meets for dinner on his annual solo musical trip to Philadelphia.  He offered to cook if we come to his house for dinner!
So - looking at an old yearbook.  These guys were in the Slide  Rule Club of 1960 and they are dang proud of it.  Google shows an International Slide Rule Museum in Carrollton TX!  It is described as an "analog computer 1950s-60s symbol of engineering profession":).  Here it is!  Ross had a fine leather case to attach to his belt - even better.  I am a lucky person to have been welcomed to this town close to 40 years ago when Ross' mom said "you're really good for a Yankee"!

No comments:

Post a Comment