These go from January 2 to today:
January 2 my 3 mile walk at Mall of America and I passed by the huge Sears store and had just heard of the bankruptcy and all the closings including this store. 125 years of history with Sears and I remember looking at the huge catalogs as a kid and seeing that you could order houses and build them yourself - not Legos real houses.
Next up - weekend duty of two 13 year old boys - our grandson Alex and his friend and they are very polite and well-behaved. Their parents were outstate at a girls' hockey tournament.
And how well our daughter-in-law Amy knows Ross so well and this was part of his Christmas gift - he loves hot sauce and she finds the ones with the best names! I get lots of excellent coffee beans and chocolates which I know from being a registered dietitian they are very healthy.
Next up January 10 and another dinner from my "test kitchen" for friends Beth and Jim and this time Moroccan and it was good. Unfortunately when the group of 10 of Ross' old work group was scheduled here the next week and we were ready that same morning we decided we had to cancel - one couple sick, one couple stuck in their Iowa home after a blizzard and closed roads and still pretty bad weather - bummer but it made sense except we have a lot of Moroccan chicken to eat still in the freezer.
January 12 - Saturday - I get a message from my Dad's 1st cousin Mavis show is now 85 telling me her granddaughter saw some of my old Schultz-Wolff family photos on Facebook and wanted a meetup. We had 4 hours of non stop talking and so much fun to see the young ones so interested in family history. I have a LOT of photos and now I know who more of them are. 3 generations here and from oldest to youngest 55 years apart!
And just saying - we bought the Ausfahrt sign in Germany and it only means "exit"!!! The rest of the stuff is old photos and plat books from my hometown counties. And the Schultz land area is quite large with several farms. Herman Schultz arrived from Germany about 1862 and sons and brothers all got a "piece of the pie" or farmland!
One of the photos of family relatives and I love the way the guys are posed....especially since in a lot of the old photos the men sit and the women stand.
January 15 - daughter-in-law Amy's usual MRI and it has reached 9 years since surgery to remove a nasty brain tumor. Every time we have the same plan: we both wear turquoise bracelets that Ross' mom had, I wear my mom's watch and she wears her Grandma's watch, we have lunch at Manny's Tortas and shop a little in the Midtown Global Market attached to the hospital. Miracles happen!
January 17: I took Ross to a family funeral in the southern Minnesota city of Myrtle where a lot of the Wolff family is buried. This is my Grandma Alma Katherine Wolff Schultz's parents - Schultz's "up north" and Wolff "down south". The relative who died was 94 years old and was the sweetest awesome guy but he was ready to go.
After the funeral and I knew at least 50 people there all related to me. And the "funeral lunch" by the Lutheran Church ladies included 5 homemade cakes and funeral foods I grew up with. This is four generations - the mom of the little girl was visiting with someone else!
My cousin and the other guy is married to my second cousin and he was a classmate of mine in the Lafayette High School class of 1964. What a small world. He's French and Catholic and it causes no problems!!!
The youngest of the four generations at the funeral and I think she is thinking "I want cake"!!!
A lunar eclipse that we could see from our backyard and it was awesome to watch and at least not in the middle of the night.
For probably over 20 years we have had season tickets for the Guthrie Theater and we always walk onto the "Endless Bridge" which is a cantilevered bridge overlooking the Mississippi River. It was chilly out on that platform but it just reminded me so much of places we have seen in France and it's right in "my town" - so awesome.
Up to today - I am joining a Bible study group in our church studying New Testament Women and it always gets me thinking about my Lutheran Church Missouri Synod background where I had to memorize this whole Catechism to be confirmed. So since I never found my old one my brother and I both ordered new ones and I decided to order the 1943 version as it was close to my 1950s confirmation - right on - right decision and now I just have to memorize it again.
Back to a little family history. This is the first Schultz house and still standing and my Dad's first cousin lives in it yet. This was the original homestead and this is the Herman Schultz family and yes they had 11 children and were Lutheran not Roman Catholic.
The groom in this wedding photo is the guy who lives in the homestead house and the little ringbearer is my brother who is 7 years younger than me.
OK - next updates might be in February as in a little over two weeks we will be headed to India.






No comments:
Post a Comment